Wednesday, March 25, 2015

THE WONDERFUL WORLD by William Brighty Rands



THE  WONDERFUL  WORLD


by William Brighty Rands

Great, wide, beautiful, wonderful World,
With the wonderful water round you curled,
And the wonderful grass upon your breast,
World, you are beautifully dressed.


The wonderful air is over me,
And the wonderful wind is shaking the tree
It walks on the water, and whirls the mills,
And talks to itself on the top of the hills.


You friendly Earth, how far do you go,
With the wheat fields that nod and the rivers
that flow,
With cities and gardens and cliffs and isles,
And the people upon you for thousands of miles?


Ah! you are so great, and I am so small,
I hardly can think of you, World, at all;
And yet, when I said my prayers today,
My mother kissed me, and said, quite gay,


"If the wonderful world is great to you,
And great to Father and Mother, too,
You are more than the Earth, though you are
such a dot!
You can love and think, and the Earth cannot!"